It’s go time if you want to participate in the USPS Mobile Shopping Promotion
The program provides a 2% discount on qualifying mail between August 1 and December 31, 2021. For brands with fall and holiday mailings, the discount could help offset the late August USPS rate increase.
Here are some of the basic guidelines for the USPS Mobile Shopping Promotion
- You must register for the promotion on the USPS gateway site Gateway.usps.com
- A QR code must be placed somewhere within the direct mail piece – minimum size of 3/4”x 3/4”
- The QR code must be accompanied by “directional copy” that describes how to activate and use the code i.e. scan here to shop (Minimum size of 11 pts.)
- The QR code can be scanned with a smart device which leads to a complete mobile optimized website, shoppable social media site, shoppable video or voice assistant where a purchase can be made
The USPS has been offering a mobile shopping promotion for several years. New guidelines for 2021 include:
- Pop ups are allowed on the web site as long as there is a way to close or exit out
- A guest checkout feature is not required
- Automatic opt-ins and pre-checks are allowed
Here are several examples of QR codes with directional copy in recent catalogs:
QR codes that lead to destinations other than a shoppable site do not qualify for the USPS Mobile Shopping Promotion.
For example, the QR code on this Pink direct mail back cover leads to an app enrollment page. This usage would not qualify for the USPS Mobile Shopping Promotion discount.
The QR code on this Cuup mailer page leads to a page to schedule a fitting. This usage would not qualify for the USPS Mobile Shopping Promotion discount
The QR code on this Faherty catalog page leads to a donation page. This usage would not qualify for the USPS Mobile Shopping Promotion discount.
As these examples illustrate, the use of QR codes in direct mail has been trending. However, it’s important to note that we see very little consumer adoption of the codes in the premium DTC segment, and they cannot be relied on for measurement.
Fulfill the requirements and including a QR code in upcoming mailings can be relied on for a 2% postage discount. For complete USPS Mobile Shopping Promotion details, go to: https://postalpro.usps.com/promotions/2021-mobile-shopping